Please Note * This petition has now been certified meaning it is no longer open for signature. The petition, with 603 signatures, will be read to the House of Commons by MP Randall Garrison in May, 2021. We look forward to the government’s response.
We’re calling on the federal government to stand by its legislative commitments to end solitary confinement once and for all.
Join us, and hundreds of other Canadians, by signing our petition here.
Petition to the House of Commons
- Bill C-83 came into force on November 30, 2019, replacing segregation with Structured Intervention Units (SIU);
- The SIUs aimed to end long-term solitary confinement in accordance with international law and Canadian court decisions that found its use unconstitutional;
- The Implementation Advisory Panel, which oversaw SIU implementation, found solitary confinement is ongoing;
- COVID-19 has exacerbated this situation;
- Prisoners report they often end up in SIU due to conflict with officers who antagonize and provoke them to act out; and
- Other evidence suggests that solitary confinement is occurring both within and outside of the SIUs.