The John Howard Society of Canada Forum
Welcome to the 2023 John Howard Society Week discussion forum.
This online asynchronous community dialogue is a new venture for us. We hope to have an informed exchange on some important issues around the focus question that appears in the next post.
Our panellists have generously agreed to make some opening comments and then post to the dialogue as they are able to. In the end, we plan to produce an edited version that will be widely available through our website.
Although this is primarily to be a discussion among our panellists, readers wanting to make a point or ask a question of the participants can do so by emailing; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our panellists are, in alphabetical order:
- Peter Carter, a career journalist who is currently an editor at Law360* Canada, formerly Lawyers’ Daily.
- Anthony Doob, a professor emeritus of criminology at the Centre for Criminology & Sociolegal Studies of the University of Toronto.
- Theresa Donkor, a Toronto criminal defence lawyer with a particular interest in racial justice.
- Rachel Fayter, a doctoral student in Criminology at the University of Ottawa and formerly incarcerated person.
- Cindy Murphy, the Executive Director of the John Howard Society of Newfoundland and Labrador.
The moderator is DD – a formerly incarcerated person with a background in research and policy, who has written about his experience but wishes to remain anonymous